rshd and securetty

Hello,

The distributed /etc/pam.conf contains (and has always contained)
the following line:

rsh     auth       required     /lib/security/pam_securetty.so

I have to remove this line to get rcp and friends to work, and I
really don't understand what it is supposed to do.

If I want to "rcp remotemachine:/tmp/somefile .", which tty on
remotemachine must be secure ?
(Apart from removing the line from /etc/pam.conf, I also can get rcp
to work by putting _all_ tty* devices in /etc/securetty, which isn't
a good idea at all).

Han