Re: pam_nologin

Forgive me if i am offbase here, as i came into this thread late:

I have a similar instance that is puzzling me, and perhaps this is
the same problem?

My upgrade of my noname alpha with the new Redhat 4.1 died. Right after
the install of the NetKit, it rebooted. On the reboot, i now get the
same thing mentioned by Han: i get the login prompt, and repeatedly
an error: Login incorrect, and the login prompt again.

Fortunately, the sshd that is in my old rc.local is still operative, and
i am able to login via ssh, and take a good look at things...

I see no reason that this has occurred. I am puzzled by this.
the /etc/passwd of course, is still the same, and i can login via ssh
as any of the users listed therein. just not at the console.

:-)

and, of course, if i flood the login it will respawn after a pause.

Agreed, this may well not be a pam issue at all. I've made comparisons
of the pam.conf and see no reason that this should be causing this.
I've checked my inittab (grin) , looked everywhere. I'm stumped.

suggestions?

/john