Re: rshd and securetty

Cristian Gafton wrote:

> On Thu, 20 Feb 1997, Han Holl wrote:
>
> > If I want to "rcp remotemachine:/tmp/somefile .", which tty on
> > remotemachine must be secure ?
>
> /dev/tty

Thanks . That was the information I was after.
I still don't quite get what /dev/tty has to do with authorizing
the r-commands, though.

There's still a problem with PAM's error reporting: you get
'Permission denied', without further explanation, and whether this is
because your .rhosts file is group writable (very common for RH users)
or because /dev/tty is not in /etc/securetty is left as an excersize
for the reader <g>.

Maybe the denied client should be left in the dark, for security
reasons,
but some kind of logging in /var/log/secure on the server side would be
definitely helpful.

Han

PS I love PAM, and it's becoming genuinely useful at an incredible
speed.
   Lots of thanks to all developers.