rsh and pam_pwdb

In the distributed /etc/pam.conf,(pam-0.56) the third line goes:

rsh     auth       required     /lib/security/pam_pwdb.so shadow md5

This looks like an attempt to log the user in interactively after
the usual rhost authentication failed.

On the systems that I tried this feature on, it just didn't
work: I type
rcp afile remotemachine:/tmp

and get back:
assword:

(Note the missing P!). If I try to enter a password this is echoed,
and the final return has no effect. It looks like the remote
process still reads my terminal.

Han