autopasswd

Hello I have a Redhat-4.2 system using Shadow Passwords.  I have a custom
program written to add users to the systesm.  This program calls the
autopasswd script which came w/ redhat to set the users password.  Problem
is that it doesn't seem to work.  I tried modifying the script slightly.  Is
there a fix for this? I would really like it if I didn't have to write any
new code into my adduser program.  Thanks in advance

			     Adam Kerasotes
		    Network Administrator Quincy University
		           E-mail:adam@quincy.edu