Re: Pam thinks I am uid=0?

> From: "Michael K. Johnson" <johnsonm@redhat.com>

> Martin Pool writes:
> >Jul  1 08:58:49 buffalo PAM_pwdb[17274]: (su) session opened for user root by mbp(uid=0)
> >That was what I thought was happening, but I didn't think it was
> >necessarily a good thing.

> The user name that is being authenticated is root
> The uid of the process doing the authentication is 0, because su is setuid root
> The logname of the user that called su was mbp

OK: so the user name specified is given as a string, and the uid of
the process is given as a number.  I suppose the reason people might
be confused is that it looks as if the message means "mbp whose uid is
0".

Perhaps
"(su) session opened for user root by mbp(uid=500) using /bin/su(uid=0)"

would be more obvious, but it's not a big problem.

--
Martin Pool, Pharos Business Solutions <m.pool@pharos.com.au> 0xcafebabe