Re: "userdel" program

On Mon, 14 Jul 1997, Miguel A.L. Paraz wrote:

> This isn't strictly related to PAM, but I was wondering if there is a
> canonical user deletion program for Red Hat?  I understand there are
> file locking considerations to watch out for when editing /etc/passwd
> and /etc/shadow, assuming that users are based on these; what
> are the guidelines?

The userdel/usermod programs which come with the shadow suite should work
well if using pam_pwdb for most of the stuff. pam_pwdb (or libpwdb, for
that matter) is using a shadow-utils compatible locking mechanism, so you
should not have any problems.

Grab an updated shadow-utils package (don't know if RH is providing them
now), there was one in contrib - that is a newer version, or you can
have it from http://sysadm.sorosis.ro/devel/shadow - an older RPM done by
me, I have not upgraded it since "if ain't broke don't fix it" and I did
not need most of the new features coming with newer shadow-utils releases
(not that are many...)

> I'm looking for something that does NOT have to run under X,
> for the ISP environment.

You're in. Command line, you love it, don't you ? :-)

Best wishes,
		Cristian Gafton
Cristian Gafton                                    gafton@sorosis.ro
Computers & Communications Center              Network Administrator
http://sysadm.sorosis.ro/devel                         Iasi, Romania