Method for locking/unlocking accounts

I remember some discussion on the list in the past about
methods for locking and unlocking an account.  I remember
that someone was working on a 'passwd' program that had
the old arguments for doing this and I also remember some
email denoting what the special characters are in the
password field of /etc/passwd.

What is the current status of that 'passwd' program and
what are the special characters in the password field?
If, for example, I'm using shadow passwords and there
is an 'x' in the password field for /etc/passwd, how
do you lock the account without screwing something up if
someone runs 'pwconv5' (from RedHat 4.2).  I'm also
wondering what will happen if one 'locks' an account
more than once but 'unlocks' it just once.  Implementation
decides that so hope someone out there can point to
appropriate source.

Brian
--
Brian Jones