Re: pamifying a RADIUS daemon - help

   Date: Thu, 17 Jul 1997 13:06:15 -0400 (EDT)
   From: "Joseph S. D. Yao" <jsdy@cais.cais.com>

   > I really don't see the point of using C++ for something like RADIUS - only
   > to make it bigger and slower ?

   This is a misconception from the earlier days of C++, when the compiler
   was actually the "Cfront" pre-processor, and it added a lot of extra C
   code to do all sorts of checking.  Then it was true that the code was
   always bogger and slower.

   These days, true C++ compilers often are the same as C compilers in
   simple code compilation.  If you do some of the more complicated things
   in C++, you may have a small extra cost in size and run-time - I did say
   small!  and I did say may! - which is a fair trade-off for the extra
   safety and capabilities C++ gives you.

This really isn't the right place to debate C vs. C++ issues.  Suffice
it to say that C++ can hide a lot of details from the programmer, so
that the programmer may not realize that what s/he is doing is extremely
inefficient.  Furthermore, C++ can cause a lot of unnecessary memory
allocation and deallocations (for temporary variables), which can really
trash your performance if you're not careful when you design and use
your C++ classes.

						- Ted