Re: PAM perl module/XS

On Sat, 19 Jul 1997, Miguel A.L. Paraz wrote:

> Does anyone know of any PAM modules for Perl using XS?
> I am migrating a WWW-based password changer that initially used
> the Shadow Perl module.  Unfortunately, I haven't done XS yet,
> and now is not yet the time for me to learn :)

I think a perl interface to (at least some aspects of) PAM would be a
wonderful thing. I think the use for one is pretty much implied by the
existence of a shadow perl module, as well as the other perl modules
dealing with authenticating to the system...

> As a work-around I am writing a C program that will get the
> password from STDIN, pass it to the PAM system, and return
> success or failure in the exit code.

I would love to get a copy of this, as it would make my next few projects
come much more quickly. =)

If someone has a reason why this is technically a bad way to go about
satisfying such needs, then perhaps a perl (or independent program a la
miguel's approach, if you want something less perl-centric) interface is
in order...

Best,
Jim Hebert
jhebert@compu-aid.com