Re: "userdel" program

On Tue, 22 Jul 1997, Michael K. Johnson wrote:
>"Miguel A.L. Paraz" writes:
>>Now I wonder why Red Hat did *not* make use the full shadow-utils.
>
>For several reasons.  Besides the fact that the utilities in shadow-utils
>that are not PAMified need to be, there is the fact that they do not
>handle large group lists properly.  This is absolutely critical to the
>Red Hat user-group scheme, and this makes shadow-utils unusable for
>large Red Hat systems that maintain our default user-group scheme.

Is work being done to PAMify the standard Shadow suite?  I'm sure other
ISPs would also be interested in the ability to lock ("passwd -l")
and unlock ("passwd -u") accounts from the command line and to modify
password aging information ("chage"), including account expiration date
("chage -E").  And, of course, it would be nice to not have to rely on
home-spun utilities to add and remove entries to /etc/passwd, /etc/shadow,
and /etc/group.

I'm very disappointed that Red Hat is now stuck with a non-standard
layout.  I'd rather have a complete Shadow suite and compliance with UNIX
group convention than full PAM compliance and support for large groups.

--
    Steve Coile           P a t r i o t  N e t      Systems Engineering
 scoile@patriot.net      Patriot Computer Group        (703) 277-7737