Re: "userdel" program

On Tue, 22 Jul 1997, Steve "Stevers!" Coile wrote:

> >do you mean the shadow utils from Cristian Gafton at
> >http://sysadm.sorosis.ro/devel/ ?
>
> Christian isn't updating the package because he doesn't have any specific
> need for the newer features of the Shadow suite.

But I'll update them, tough. As MkJ stated, the problem is not the
pamification as the biggest move - that part is easy in most cases. The
problems arise from the handling of large user lists in /etc/group,
something at which tyhe sahdow suite is not very efficient. The logic of
handling those large users lists will have to be changed completely
within shadow suite, and I assume this will be both hard to do and hard to
get accepted by Julie to be distributed in the future shadow suite. And if
we want to stay compatible with a very large mass of users which are using
the current shadow suite, we will have to continue have support for
"extensions" done by the shadow suite in /etc/group files (things like
putting a \ after max 8192 chars on a line and continuing from the next
one, etc.), and this won't be quite easy to accomplish, at least with the
new handling scheme I have now in my head.

We'll see. As always, good things happen when somebody gets pissed of some
lack of features and start to implement them. :-) And I'm getting nervous
about this shadow suite thing. :-)

Best wishes,
		Cristian Gafton
Cristian Gafton                                    gafton@sorosis.ro
Computers & Communications Center              Network Administrator
http://sysadm.sorosis.ro/devel                         Iasi, Romania