Re: PAM + NIS

On Tue, Jul 29, 1997 at 08:50:14PM +0200, Andrea Dell'Amico wrote:
> Joerg Mertin <joerg@pc50.zrz.TU-Berlin.DE> wrote on Tue, 29 Jul 1997:
>

> > > Does anyone know if it's possible doing the same with shadow support?
> > Should do without problems. Just add a +shadow behind the nis line and it
> > should make it.
> >

> Thank you. I did try that but didn't work. I'm using this pwd.conf
>
> #
> # This is the configuration file for the pwdb library
> #
>
> user:
>         unix+shadow
>         nis+shadow
>         unix+nis+shadow
>
> group:
>         unix+shadow
>         nis+shadow
>         unix+nis+shadow
>
> with a local shadow file and nis without shadow, now. For me it's good,
> xlock is the only application that doesn't authenticate anymore. It did,
> with shadow and with and without nis, before the upgrade.

That`s your problem. You`ll always have problems if you mix Shadow with
non Shadow stuff. Either you have shadow in everything, or disable it
everywhere. If you want to use shadow, your NIS-Server has to implement
this too. Won't work without hacking around if not. Also, try to take
a pamified xlock version. This should work again. Another trick is to make
a chown root.shadow /etc/shadow /usr/X11R6/bin/xlock,
then a chmod g+s /usr/X11R6/bin/xlock which will gove the xlock the
ability to read the shadow file.

Regards
--
I must have slipped a disk -- my pack hurts!
* System Admin:                                 *