Re: I'm sure you get your share of I HATE PAM messages.

On Thu, 31 Jul 1997, Michael K. Johnson wrote:

> redhat-devel is the place for talking about Red Hat development issues.
> pam-list just happens to be hosted by Red Hat because we have an interest
> in furthering its development.

I'm very sorry - this was the source of my misunderstanding. I thought
this was a redhat-related list. I did not wish to have directed my
comments anywhere else.

> I'm sorry; I didn't see that part; I probably quit reading after I got
> tired of the rant.  I did start reading it with the idea of trying to
> figure out what was wrong and then helping you out, but there wasn't
> a lot of useful information to use in order to help you, and I got the
> idea after the first page or so of rant that there was only rant left
> in the message.  :-)

Sorry about that... I suppose I was trying to be informative and funny at
the same time.  :/

> In order to be helpful, I've got to know more.  It *sounds* to me like
> you have upgraded a system piecemeal; I have no idea what versions of
> important packages you are using.  Please consider posting what version
> of RHL you are using, what versions of pam and pwdb, what version of
> libc if you have upgraded it separately, etc.  Then we might have a
> chance of helping.  As it is, all I can say is "well, I can't seem
> to reproduce that" which doesn't help you in the least.

Actually, your questions have led me to figure out the entire problem.
Thank you!

In case you're curious anyway:

I started with a RedHat 4.0 install - a very old one. I updated pam,
pamconfig, and pwdb to the most recently available version in the
current/RedHat/RPMS directory on sunsite. Right now, that's 0.57-2,
0.51-2, and 0.54-3 respectively.

I did not, however, elect to update the libc from 5.3.12-17 (it had
apparently already been updated) to 5.3.12-18. Which I've just done. And
the ulckpwdf/lckpwdf error messages disappeared. Tinkering with libc, are
we? GREAT. JUST GREAT.

<TO REDHAT>
Dependency, deschmendency. Who needs them? We can all just guess, right?
</TO REDHAT>

Unfortunately, that didn't solve the problem about ftpd not working. Heh
heh heh... No configuration file in pam.d for it. Nothing in pam.conf
about it. So I copy the example about configuring ftpd off of the pam
documentation file, since it happens to be conviently there already. That
didn't work either. I convert the three lines in question into a pam.d
file named "ftpd" (just like the service-name in the example). Still no
luck. I notice that the example also expects all the pam libs in
/usr/lib/security, and redhat puts them all in /lib/security. No biggie, I
fix that. No luck there either.

But by now I'm on to them. I go to back to the ftp site and pull down
wu-ftpd-2.4.2b12-6. I only had b11. And now it starts working.

<TO REDHAT>
So, uh, now I just sit around and hope I notice what versions
of what else Pam breaks, since you didn't even feel like MAKING A REAL
LIST OF THE STUPID BINS YOU'VE INFESTED WITH IT?
</TO REDHAT>

On my way on to the next crisis, I notice that the rpm installation of the
new wu-ftp created a file called "ftp" (_not_ "ftpd") in /etc/pam.d.  How
thoughtful. They arbitrarily changed the service-name. On peeking in, out
of curiousity, I notice that the file is substantially different from the
example in the pam documentation as well. I am not at all surprised.

<TO REDHAT>
I get it. If my pam.d directory gets hosed, I'm just supposed to
cheerfully reinstal every rpm I've ever used?
</TO REDHAT>

Well, that's it for today. I sincerely hope this gets archived in some
search engine somewhere so the next poor schmuck who types "pam lckpwdf"
into Altavista will have better luck than I did.

I'll still write that manual section if someone would like. Is there a
maintainer I can speak with?

--
David Wood
wood@spiralmedia.com