Re: I'm sure you get your share of I HATE PAM messages.

David Wood writes:
>I did not, however, elect to update the libc from 5.3.12-17 (it had
>apparently already been updated) to 5.3.12-18. Which I've just done. And
>the ulckpwdf/lckpwdf error messages disappeared. Tinkering with libc, are
>we? GREAT. JUST GREAT.
>
><TO REDHAT>
>Dependency, deschmendency. Who needs them? We can all just guess, right?
></TO REDHAT>

We did not know of any dependency.  If we had known, we would have put
it in.  It is probably some subtle linker issue that I don't understand.

>Unfortunately, that didn't solve the problem about ftpd not working. Heh
>heh heh... No configuration file in pam.d for it. Nothing in pam.conf
>about it. So I copy the example about configuring ftpd off of the pam
>documentation file, since it happens to be conviently there already. That
>didn't work either. I convert the three lines in question into a pam.d
>file named "ftpd" (just like the service-name in the example). Still no
>luck. I notice that the example also expects all the pam libs in
>/usr/lib/security, and redhat puts them all in /lib/security. No biggie, I
>fix that. No luck there either.

Should be ftp, not ftpd.  The service name, not the daemon name.

>But by now I'm on to them. I go to back to the ftp site and pull down
>wu-ftpd-2.4.2b12-6. I only had b11. And now it starts working.
>
><TO REDHAT>
>So, uh, now I just sit around and hope I notice what versions
>of what else Pam breaks, since you didn't even feel like MAKING A REAL
>LIST OF THE STUPID BINS YOU'VE INFESTED WITH IT?
></TO REDHAT>

rpm -q --whatrequires libpam.so.0

>On my way on to the next crisis, I notice that the rpm installation of the
>new wu-ftp created a file called "ftp" (_not_ "ftpd") in /etc/pam.d.  How
>thoughtful. They arbitrarily changed the service-name. On peeking in, out

The service name is ftp.  The daemon name is ftpd.  That hasn't changed.
We have not put the "d" in any of the service names.

>of curiousity, I notice that the file is substantially different from the
>example in the pam documentation as well. I am not at all surprised.
>
><TO REDHAT>
>I get it. If my pam.d directory gets hosed, I'm just supposed to
>cheerfully reinstal every rpm I've ever used?
></TO REDHAT>

Well, I thought you said that you read the pages that told you about
pam.  Perhaps you should read them more carefully -- they have answers
in them, not just advocacy.  You can get a list of these rpms with

rpm -q --whatrequires libpam.so.0

There aren't that horribly many of them!

>I'll still write that manual section if someone would like. Is there a
>maintainer I can speak with?

When you post here, you are talking to him.  Andrew Morgan maintains the
documentation.  Post changes here so that the rest of us can do technical
review.  Thanks!

michaelkjohnson