Cryptocard and general pam question

First my general question:

I am new to this list and like to know if a pam-lib can be run as
root even if the program using pam is not running as root.

This is important when implementing a Cryptocard-lib (if it does
not yet exist, I'll try my best..) that needs to store the DES-key
of a user in a save way (no world-readable file). If this leads to
the fact that every program that must have special rights, it would
be nice if we found another way. (Is it possible to flag a shared-
library set-userid?).

Thank you for your support.

--
           Sascha Kettler <kettler@bwl.uni-mannheim.de>

http://www.pgp.net/cgi-bin/pks-extract-key.pl?op=get&search=0xC02F0021
  Key fingerprint = 6D FA F1 A8 13 E5 0A F9  46 69 A6 85 67 95 00 8C