Re: Status of skey module.

> Date: Wed, 19 Mar 1997 10:45:23 -0600
> From: "Karl O. Pinc" <kop@meme.com>
>
> >> Is there a status on the skey module?
>

> >There may be several PAM-S/Key modules under development.  I have one
> >which is working completely (AFAIK), but I haven't found the time or
> >energy to make an RPM out of it.  I'm not sure how it should be
> >packaged, because it requires some of the utilities and libraries from
> >the skey-2.2-1.i386.rpm package, but if you install the whole package
> >then it overwrites the PAM versions of login etc. with S/Key-specific
> >versions.
>
> So, the "standard" skey rpm package overwrites login, but your's dosen't,
> right?

Right.  S/Key (as you probably know) is fairly portable, and supports
systems which don't use PAM.  So, it includes a replacement login
program based (I think) on the old BSD one.

The problem with this is that login then no longer knows about PAM.

We wanted to stack S/Key passwords with normal passwords.  I was going
to just modify the version of login that came with S/Key until I
worked out what PAM was and realised what a nice idea it is.

So, I would like to let people just use the standard PAM login and
offer S/Key as another way to authenticate them.

> I'll probably be installing your stuff one of these days.  When I do, I'll
> check out the packaging and let you know what I come up with.

I'd like that.

Yours,

--
  Martin Pool <m.pool@pharos.com.au> | Designer, Pharos Business Solutions

  "Without fungi there's not the loaf of bread or the jug of wine
  or even thou" -- Robert Fulghum