passwd: User not known to the underlying authentication module

Whenever a non-privileged user attempts to change their password, they
get the following error:

    passwd: User not known to the underlying authentication module

A message similar to the following is sent to syslog:

    Mar 31 17:33:10 adams PAM_pwdb[12651]: bad username []

I searched the archives for redhat-list@redhat.com and found several
references to this problem.  The only solution I found, though, was to
make sure the SUID bit was set on /etc/passwd, which it is:

    -r-sr-xr-x   1 root     bin         19031 Aug 26  1996 /usr/bin/passwd

Permissions appear correct on /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow:

    -rw-r--r--   1 root     root        69998 Mar 31 14:37 /etc/passwd
    -r--------   1 root     root        52192 Mar 31 15:00 /etc/shadow

RPM does not report any problems with the passwd or pam.

redhat-release-4.1-1, pam-0.57-4, passwd-0.50-2, pwdb-0.54-7

Stock /etc/pwdb.conf is in use.

root can still set user passwords without difficulty.

Both users with traditional, crypt-encrypted passwords as well as users
with MD5-encrypted passwords are affected.  I'm not aware of any users
that *aren't* affected.

Another box I have with a nearly identical set-up does not suffer from
this problem.

--
    Steve Coile           P a t r i o t  N e t      Systems Engineering
 scoile@patriot.net      Patriot Computer Group        (703) 277-7737