Re: passwd: User not known to the underlying authentication module

On Tue, 1 Apr 1997, Cristian Gafton wrote:
>On Mon, 31 Mar 1997, Steve "Stevers!" Coile wrote:
>> Whenever a non-privileged user attempts to change their password, they
>> get the following error:
>>
>>     passwd: User not known to the underlying authentication module
>
>Contents of /etc/pam.d/login ?
>---"---     /etc/pam.d/passwd ?

----- begin /etc/pam.d/login -----
#%PAM-1.0
#[For version 1.0 syntax, the above header is optional]
#
# The PAM configuration file for the `login' service
#
auth       requisite  pam_securetty.so
auth       required   pam_pwdb.so shadow md5 nullok
auth       requisite  pam_nologin.so
account    required   pam_pwdb.so shadow md5
password   required   pam_cracklib.so retry=3
password   required   pam_pwdb.so shadow md5 use_authtok
session    required   pam_pwdb.so
session    required   pam_limits.so
----- end /etc/pam.d/login -----

----- begin /etc/pam.d/passwd -----
#%PAM-1.0
#[For version 1.0 syntax, the above header is optional]
#
# The PAM configuration file for the `passwd' service
#
password   required   pam_cracklib.so retry=3
password   required   pam_pwdb.so shadow md5 use_authtok
----- end /etc/pam.d/passwd -----

These are identical to the ones on the working machine.

>> Another box I have with a nearly identical set-up does not suffer from
>> this problem.
>
>Put 'debug' on every module for login and passwd services and the try to
>reproduce the error, check the logs.

Done, but it doesn't appear to have any effect.  Do I need to reboot
or restart anything?  I tried logging in multiple times, and have tried
"passwd" several times, but no new behavior or log messages.

The only significant difference I can see between the two systems is
that the working one is using pam-0.57-5 vs pam-0.57-4 on the non-working
system.  Were the changes from -4 to -5 that significant?

--
    Steve Coile           P a t r i o t  N e t      Systems Engineering
 scoile@patriot.net      Patriot Computer Group        (703) 277-7737