Date: Fri, 4 Apr 1997 09:46:50 -0800 (PST)
From: "Andrew G. Morgan" <morgan@parc.power.net>
To: pam-list@redhat.com
Subject: Re: possible problem with PAM on RH4.1?

Stephen V. Trovato wrote:
> 1) Reboot the system to put it into proper working order
> 2) Telnet to the system
> 3) At this point, logname returns the correct value
> 4) From this shell, telnet to the system from itself and login again with
> 	the same username
> 5) logout
> 6) logout
>
> Now log back in and check logname.  It will return a blank.  It will
> return blank for EVERY user from now on; nothing will fix the problem
> except either a reboot or "rm ; touch" of /var/run/utmp

This does not seem to work with the login from SimplePAMApps.  If you have
chance can you try this out?

  http://parc.power.net/morgan/Linux-PAM/pre/SimplePAMApps-0.54-1.i386.rpm

(It is only in my pre-release directory because I hadn't made an rpm
before.)

You will need to --force it, so be careful to have the old rpms on hand if
you want to return to default Red Hat..

/etc/pam.d/login
#%PAM-1.0
#[For version 1.0 syntax, the above header is optional]
#
# The PAM configuration file for the login' service
#
auth       required   pam_pwdb.so
auth       optional   pam_group.so
auth       required   pam_nologin.so