Re: Problems with passwd/pam I think?

On Thu, 8 May 1997, Tom Diehl wrote:
[...]
>I have a stock RedHat 4.1 installed on a Cyrix P166. When I try to change
>the passwd I get passwd: authentication token manipulation error.

Actually, your /etc/shadow file may be corrupt.  Try running "pwck"
and see what it says.  Have a look at its man page before you run it.
Also check permissions on /etc/passwd (644,root.root), /etc/shadow
(400,root.root), and /usr/bin/passwd (1555,root.bin).  Try also verifying
the pam, pwdb, and passwd packages:

    rpm -V pam pwdb passwd

--
    Steve Coile           P a t r i o t  N e t      Systems Engineering
 scoile@patriot.net      Patriot Computer Group        (703) 277-7737