Re: Problems with passwd/pam I think?

On Thu, 8 May 1997, Steve "Stevers!" Coile wrote:

> On Thu, 8 May 1997, Tom Diehl wrote:
> [...]
> >I have a stock RedHat 4.1 installed on a Cyrix P166. When I try to change
> >the passwd I get passwd: authentication token manipulation error.
>
> Actually, your /etc/shadow file may be corrupt.  Try running "pwck"
> and see what it says.  Have a look at its man page before you run it.
> Also check permissions on /etc/passwd (644,root.root), /etc/shadow
> (400,root.root), and /usr/bin/passwd (1555,root.bin).  Try also verifying
> the pam, pwdb, and passwd packages:
>
>     rpm -V pam pwdb passwd

Are you sure about the 1555 on /usr/bin/passwd? My passwd program is currently
set as -r-sr-xr-x. chmod 1555 /usr/bin/passwd gets me -r-xr-xr-t.
That does not look right to me? an rpm -V yields no errors. pwck yields no
significant errors (it tells me that the shell "no shell" does not exist
which is true but not revelant).

tdiehl@pil.net

Unix IS user friendly. It's just selective about who its friends are.

Friends don't let friends do DOS/WINDOZZZZZZZE!!!!