Re: Problems with passwd/pam I think?

On Thu, 8 May 1997, Tom Diehl wrote:

> Sorry, I forgot to mention I have installed ALL of the updates from the redhat
> site. I check the site at least once a week and upgrade anything that I
> have installed.

I found this on one of our RH 4.1 systems, it turned out that the
/usr/sbin/adduser command was putting in values for the `extra' fields in
/etc/shadow (these fields are for password aging and the like) and it was
that which was causing us the problems. It only showed up on one box
because it was the only one that the stock adduser was being run on, the
rest were using a customized version.

I didn't spend anytime determining which field was put in incorrectly or
indeed what the real problem was (for us the problem was an administrator
using the wrong adduser commnad ;-), I simply set all the fields to -1 and
all was well.

Hope this helps,

cheers, kinch