Re: Password Lengths

atp@msslac.mssl.ucl.ac.uk said:
} I'm working on this as part of a semi-related project.
} This depends on the encryption technique used for the long passwords.
} The one I need to implement is called (for want of a better name)
} bigcrypt(), and is a superset of the standard unix crypt.
} For passwords of 8 characters or less, the result is exactly the
} same as crypt(). For passwords of more than 8 characters, the result
} is multiple 14 character crypt() blocks stacked together.
} The alternative is to use MD5 passwords.

Does this gives you as much additional security as you would expect??