[no subject]

You would get 2 identical crypt strings (possibly with different salts and
so different results, but basically the same with no perturbation of the
password segments by one another).

Without going into serious theory (meaning my books are out on loan and I
am no crypto expert), it would appear to me that you are buying yourself
considerably less than it may otherwise appear since you can crack
passwords in 8 character chunks in parallel, and the full scale dictionary
crack (take a few CDs with all possible crypt results) has got no more
difficult.

Why not go straight for an MD5 or SHA based password scheme - gets you
more bits and better handling of long passwords.

	Nigel.
--
[ Nigel.Metheringham@theplanet.net   -  Systems Software Engineer ]
[ Tel : +44 113 251 6012                   Fax : +44 113 224 0003 ]