null password, stock rh41

I was running the JFH Shadow package for linux on top of a redhat2 ->
redhat3 system.  One of the things I had set up was a null passworded
account that would spawn /bin/login when connected to.  This was a hack
for terminal server use.  I upgraded to RH4.1 and suddenly, if the account
has a null password, you need to hit enter while you didn't have to
before.  And running /bin/login is not prompting for a username and
password.  I'm sure I'm doing something stupid, but it's been awhile since
I had any sleep, so if someone wants to point me at a faq that answers
this instead of explaining it, I'ld be just as happy. :)

Thanks in advance for any help.

 -Matt (panzer@dhp.com)  --  DataHaven Project - http://www.dhp.com/
  "That which can never be enforced should not be prohibited."