Qpopper 2.3 and PAM

I wanted to add some useful information to the discussion
on pamifying qpopper v2.3.  The patch and instructions
provided by Chris Dent at http://www.kiva.net/~cdent/pam/ work
so long as you are using standard /etc/passwd.  However
it would be preferable to use shadow passwords.  I'm going
to take a wild guess that because qpopper doesn't keep
root very long that it can't read /etc/shadow through PAM
at the proper time.  Since I'm not using pwdb... I can't
blame gdbm.  Btw, the gdbm rpms from RedHat are screwy
in the first place if you're looking for db.h or ndbm.h.

Brian