Length of usernames

I ran into a problem recently involving the length of usernames
under a Linux RedHat 4.1 system.  I've not tested to find an
exact value, but it seems usernames of say 12 or 13 characters
are a problem with PAM.  These rpms are installed...
pamconfig-0.50-5, and pam-0.54-4.  Here is how the problem
developed.

I created a user and set the password as root.  The user
can login okay.  If the user tries to use the passwd program
it fails,

passwd: User not known to the underlying authentication module.

Is this really a problem with PAM?  The code for passwd
was small and nothing but PAM library calls.  Is the problem
fixed in newer versions of PAM which use the /etc/pam/service
format configuration?

Thanks,
Brian