PAM on BSD (was Re: changing password via NIS/YP with pam-pwdb possible)

Joseph S. D. Yao stands accused of saying:
>> While I am loth to mention the Evil Name, there is active work
>> being done on the FreeBSD NIS code by someone very familiar with
>> NIS and in an environment where the code is able to be actively
>> tested.
>
>What evil name?  Linux benefited very nicely from all the FreeBSD code
>in it - and, I believe, vice versa.

Oh, indeed.  I was just being cautious, as while Andrew is very
BSD-friendly (the copyright on the PAM code, f.e.), I've been burnt
by association before.  I'm more than glad to hear I won't have to
hide here 8)

I promised earlier to make some more noise about PAM and portability
to non-Linux environments, and posted some (minor) patches to help
in that direction.  I haven't heard anything back about those yet,
but later today I'll be posting a larger set which should include
a port of the pam_unix modules.

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone running a mixed environment
that might be interested in testing the BSD port for behavioural
similarity with the Linix version.

Anyway, enough jabber.  Back to the grindstone 8)

--
Mike Smith  *BSD hack  Unix hardware collector
The question "why are the fundamental laws of nature mathematical"