Re: logins with extra charecters works!?!

Brad Thompson writes:
>This is a longtime wart of a number of unices.  When you encrypt a
>password, only the first eight characters are significant.  This has
>not been fixed in the redhat passwd packages.

Actually, it IS fixed.

However, for the sake of compatibility, we leave the normal password
encryption in by default.  If you want long passwords, use md5 passwords,
which pam_pwdb (the default authentication method for Red Hat) supports.
Documentation on using md5 passwords is included with PAM.

michaelkjohnson