Linux <-> BSDI w/Radius

We're putting up some new servers running Redhat (migrating away from
BSDI) and here's the situation we have:

Our authentication server (BSDI) has /etc/passwd (shadowed) for all our
users; a radiusd is runnning for auth. for our Ascends which does not
much more than look in etc/passwd for auth.

A new server (Redhat) needs to via some method validate username/passwd
from the auth server.

My assumption is that I can use the pam.radius module to "go to" the
radius server which will default to the bsdi etc/passwd file and return a
success or failure.

I've reviewed the linux-info/pam docs and egrep'd the archive (which
return more than I could determine a starting point :) ).

Can someone point me in the right direction for step-by-step (baby ones)
documentation for accomplishing what I want... if it's even possible.

TIA

Michael