incompatibility with Sun's implementation of PAM

I was looking at porting the Linux PAM module for Kerberos 5 to
Solaris 2.6, and ran into incompatibility with pam_strerror.  The
Sun implementation expect the first argument to pam_strerror to be
the PAM handle.  I am not sure why the Sun implementation requires
the handle for this function, but it would be nice to keep the
Linux and Sun interfaces compatible.  I also got a lot of other
errors, but I haven't investigated yet.  Here is the section from
the Sun man page for pam_strerror:

     cc [ flag ...  ] file ...  -lpam [ library ...  ]

     #include <security/pam_appl.h>

     const char *pam_strerror(pam_handle_t*pamh, int errnum);

Also if any one has interest in digging, I have a copy of the
Sun man pages online and you can find links in:

http://hoth.stsci.edu/public/pam/