Re: pam_env.so: Supposed to work with service xdm?

On Mon, 8 Sep 1997, Christian 'Dr. Disk' Hechelmann wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Is pam_env.so suposed to work with service xdm? I can't seem to get it working
> as no variables specified in /etc/security/pam_env.conf show up after a login
> via xdm.

No it does not, a pain that I hope *sometime* to fix. I haven't looked
into things in any depth but my suspision is that xdm is not fully pam
aware (can anyone confirm?). I need to do some research, it is not
completely clear to me where xterms are supposed to get their environment
from (for instance, the difference between -ls and +ls, I assume xdm for
the +ls case and that xterm should be `pamified' to handle the -ls case
but ....)

If anyone can shed some more light on xdm and xterm, that would be
appreciated.

Note too, I still have intentions to allow pam_env to *set* PAM_
variables, in case anyone thought I had forgotten ;-) I am going to find
the time to do this Real Soon Now (tm).

cheers, kinch