Re: pam_env.so: Supposed to work with service xdm?

Christian 'Dr. Disk' Hechelmann wrote:
> I noticed in the debug.log tha for instance the value that REMOTEHOST gets
> assigned is just trash (i.e. random bytes) as if PAM_RHOST contains nothing
> or junk. I don't have the log here now (at work) but I will supply it later.

I think this may have been due to a non initialization bug.

There is a "patched" pam_env.so.gz binary in my pre-release directory from
when this bug was reported to me.  The patch is also present in the latest
pre-release of Linux-PAM.

As for xdm needing better PAM support.  I spent a long time encouraging
people to look at this and eventually we created some code for a
semi-generic "X" conversation function.  This is also in my pre-release
directory: Xauth.tar.gz .  As it stands it is just some code to mock up a
conversation that PAMs like to do.  It needs to be buried in some real
application to be of any use. I just thought I would mention it in case it
was useful...

Cheers

Andrew
                  http://parc.power.net/morgan/index.html