Re: pam_opie module

On Fri, 12 Sep 1997 17:16:01 -0400 (EDT), Derrick J Brashear wrote:

>>  	If I understand it correctly the whole point of PAM is
>>  	to avoid having to "hack" each authentication client
>>  	(login, xdm, popd, ftpd, etc) for each authentication
>>  	method (DES, shadow, pwdb, MD5, big-DES, Kerberos, OPIE,
>>  	NIS and NIS+, and as yet unknown (custom auth via query
>>  	to an SQL db?)).
>>
>>  	So, if we get xdm working properly with PAM than any
>>  	new authentication scheme that is implemented in PAM
>>  	(SecurID, fingerprint readers, whatever!) should then
>>  	work with xdm with no further coding.
>
>Yes, but you need appropriate conversation functions first. The problem now is
>that for many applications those don't exist.

This is exactly the case, how can one implement a new authentication method if
the authentication conversation is different than the standard 'username:
password:'

--
                Bryan C. Andregg * <bandregg@redhat.com> * Red Hat Software

"Donnie were much more 'user-friendly'. May be you selective
       about friends:-)" -- Levente Farkas

"Hey, wait a minute, you clowns are on dope!"
	-- Owen Cheese in 'Shakes the Clown'