Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 16:12:44 +0100 (BST)
From: Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl@switchboard.net>
To: Charlie Brady <cbrady@ind.tansu.com.au>
Cc: Multiple recipients of list <samba@samba.anu.edu.au>
Subject: Re: PAM and SAMBA

On Tue, 16 Sep 1997, Charlie Brady wrote:

> On 15 Sep 1997, Johnie Stafford wrote:
>

> > I'm trying to use samba with a win95 box and Red Hat 4.2. I have the
> > default pam config files for samba:
> >
> > #%PAM-1.0
> > auth       required	/lib/security/pam_pwdb.so shadow nullok
> > account    required	/lib/security/pam_pwdb.so
> >

> > When ever win95 tries to authenticate I get the following in the logs:
> >
> > Sep 15 17:37:17 olympus PAM_pwdb[4224]: 1 authentication failure; (uid=0) -> jms for samba service
> >
> > Any idea what I'm doing wrong? I'm new to PAM and I'm lost.
>

> If you don't want to teach samba how to deal with encrypted passwords,
> there is a registry entry which tells win95 not to use them. Either  look
> up the samba web pages and mailing list archives, or look at the doco
> which comes with the latest version of samba.

in the docs directory, there are two .reg files.  one is for NT, the
other for w95.  dubbl-click on dem and dey get loaded into the registry.

> BTW, I'm pretty sure that samba authentication against encrypted passwords
> doesn't use PAM at all. If someone developed a suitable module, it could
> be, and that would let you do some other PAM stuff as well. I don't know
> whether it would be worth the effort though.

oh, yeh - it would.  it would make other unix vendors aware of the
advantages of PAM.

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton (lkcl@switchboard.net)
"Deal with difficult problems while they are still easy"