Re: 2nd call: binary incompatibility

We may be able to mitigate the binary compatibility problem by doing
some hacks.  For example, there was the ELF versioning hack, which
unfortunately is probably a bit too new for us to use.

Another possibility is that we can have our function take a look at the
first argument of pam_strerror, and see if it looks like an error
number (i.e., small integer), or a pointer.  If it looks like an error
number, we can process it as an old-style function, and if it looks like
a pointer to a PAM handle, we can process it as if it were an new-style
function.  I'd advocate putting a magic number into the PAM structure,
to make it easier to tell whether or not we're pointing at a valid PAM
structure.

						- Ted