samba and shadow/pam

Hi all.  I just noticed the following in my /etc/pam.conf, after spending
several hours trying to figure out why I'm having password problems:

# samba authorization
samba   auth       required     /lib/security/pam_unix_auth.so
samba   account    required     /lib/security/pam_unix_acct.so

I have never really used pam, so I don't know if this is correct.  I'm
using samba-1.9.17p1-3.i386.rpm with shadow.  Running
"smbclient '\\APPS\TMP' -U steve" with steve being a valid user, and APPS
being the name of my server, always tells me the password is incorrect.

I'm wondering if this is related to pam, and if so, how?  If not, what
could I possibly be doing wrong, as this didn't take this long last time I
did it..

Thanks,
Dave Wreski