Re: su fails

> Hi all.  I'm not sure which package is actually doing it, but one of them
> I've added prevents me from su'ing.  I'm pretty sure its pam-0.57-8.

No, it's not the problem of pam.

> Can someone tell me the latest stable version available?  It seems that
> samba only works properly, at least for me, with pam-0.57-8.  Even then it
> requires modifications to /etc/pam.d/samba.  Also, it seems the passwd
> string from /etc/shadow is extrodiarily long:

If I know right, the version you are using is good. ( I'm using it too :) )

> user::$1$KunBeg/x$TQ4T50LfdJp6Epko8DUT8/:10126:-1:-1:-1:-1:-1:0

This is because you use your passwd crypted with md5. See later :)

> Why is this?  Following is the relevant versions that I'm currently using,
> so hopefully someone can tell me if one of them is wrong:
>
> pamconfig-0.51-2
> passwd-0.50-7
> shadow-utils-960530-6
> util-linux-2.5-38
> pam-0.57-8
> pwdb-0.54-4

None of them are wrong.

> Following is the contents of /etc/pam.d/su which is where I suppose the
> problem is:
>
> auth       required   pam_wheel.so use_uid
> auth       sufficient pam_rootok.so
> auth       required   pam_pwdb.so shadow md5
> account    required   pam_pwdb.so shadow md5
> password   required   pam_pwdb.so shadow md5

Here is the problem ------------------------^
When you use this on the end of the line, you make pam to crypt your passwd
with md5. To solve the problem, simply delete this.

> session    required   pam_pwdb.so
> session    required   pam_limits.so
>
> I really know nothing about pam yet, so I'd love to hear from you..
>
> Thanks for any ideas,
> Dave Wreski

       Bérci Norbert
 nicolas@piglet.ipari.vein.hu