Re: su fails

On Mon, 22 Sep 1997, Dave Wreski wrote:

> Hi all.  I'm not sure which package is actually doing it, but one of them
> I've added prevents me from su'ing.  I'm pretty sure its pam-0.57-8.
>
> Can someone tell me the latest stable version available?  It seems that
> samba only works properly, at least for me, with pam-0.57-8.  Even then it
> requires modifications to /etc/pam.d/samba.  Also, it seems the passwd
> string from /etc/shadow is extrodiarily long:
>
> user::$1$KunBeg/x$TQ4T50LfdJp6Epko8DUT8/:10126:-1:-1:-1:-1:-1:0
      ^^
I do not know anything about pam either but the above looks weird.
I thought that the colons separated the fields and that the 2nd
field was the passwd or is this just a typo? If so just ignore this.

tdiehl@pil.net

"What a fool cannot learn he laughs at. Thinking that by his laughter
he shows superority, instead of latent idiocy."

Unix IS user friendly. It's just selective about who its friends are.