Re: su fails

> > pamconfig-0.51-2
> > passwd-0.50-7
> > shadow-utils-960530-6
> > util-linux-2.5-38
> > pam-0.57-8
> > pwdb-0.54-4
>
> None of them are wrong.
>
> > password   required   pam_pwdb.so shadow md5
>
> Here is the problem ------------------------^
> When you use this on the end of the line, you make pam to crypt your passwd
> with md5. To solve the problem, simply delete this.

So part of that password string is a checksum?  Which program is it that
doesn't understand how to use that checksum to encrypt the string the user
provides as his password, and then verify with /etc/shadow?

In other words, obviously that `md5' was put there for a reason.  What was
it intended to be used for if I have to just take it out anyway?

Thanks,
Dave