telnet and login

Hi all.  I'm not sure if this is a pam problem, but I bet someone has seen
this problem before, and can point me in the right direction.

Since upgrading to pam-0.57, I noticed my normal login: prompt is now
printed as 'Please enter username' or somesuch.

Also, when telnet'ing from a solaris box, I'm immediately greeted with a
password prompt, and no login prompt at all.  If the username exists on
the linux box that I'm doing the telnet from, and I enter the correct
password, I can login.

Is this a util-linux, or pam problem, or neither?

Thanks,
Dave