Re: telnet and login

On Mon, 29 Sep 1997, Dave Wreski wrote:

> Also, when telnet'ing from a solaris box, I'm immediately greeted with a
> password prompt, and no login prompt at all.  If the username exists on
> the linux box that I'm doing the telnet from, and I enter the correct
> password, I can login.

Thats the Solaris version of telnet being ever helpful and supplying your
local username to the remote box.  (ie, very rsh-like behaviour).

Fix: Install decent utils on the Solaris box (ie, gnu) or use:

 'telnet -l remoteusername remote.machine'

--==--
Bruce.

Whose personal feelings on Slowaris involve the designers being creatively
eliminated ;)