Re: Samba-1.6.17p2 & PAM

> Has anyone built Samba-1.9.17p2 from the sources on RedHat 4.1, i.e.
>  PAM -0.54.  After uncommenting in the Makefile,
>
>  PAM_FLAGS = -DUSE_PAM
>  PAM-LIBS = -ldl -lpam
>
> I compiled samba and installed it.  Unfortunately it will not
> authenticate a user no matter what I try.  I am not good enough to debug
> the log files and strace output. Any help or advice would be greatly
> appreciated.

First of all, the gentleman that put together the RPM is part of the samba
team, so unless you are looking to do something non-standard, there really
shouldn't be a reason to compile the sources..

That being said, I think there may be a problem with the actual pam
authentication.  Hmm.. Check out /etc/pam.conf for something like:

auth   required        /lib/security/pam_unix_auth.so

and comment it out.

This is all assuming you have the password mechanism setup correctly to
begin with.  Have you decided to use encrypted passwords?  Does the
following show any information when run from the box that samba is running
on:

# smbclient -L mysambabox -U myuser%mypasswd

It should show a list of the shares that 'myuser' is able to access.
Otherwise, it should provide some indication as to what the reason it
didn't like your password was.

You should be able to configure 'encrypt passwords = no' and 'security =
user' and comment out 'smb passwd file = /etc/smbpasswd' in your
/etc/smb.conf to get started without encrypted passwords..

Dave