Service names

I've been through the PAM RFC and I've been through lots of the RedHat
PAM Web pages and there's one thing I haven't seen discussed.

How do I know what the service is called within the application, i.e.
how do I know what to name the file in /etc/pam.d so that it is
recognized by the service. It seems that the service name is just an
arbitrary text string passed at the API.

Take ftp as an example (please don't respond explaining ftp - it is only
to illustrate the question), should the file be named ftp, ftpd, in.ftpd
wu-ftpd? Suppose the implementer chose to use agrv[0]?

Alan
--
amw@bea.lnx.net