PAM / rsh problem

I have installed RHLinux 5.1 on two identical machines
I have added a user account for me on each machine
I have created a .rhosts file in each home directory that contains the other hostname and my name
  <machine A>   tim
  <machine B>   tim
I have set access to the .rhosts file as owner read/write only

I have added each machine name to the others /etc/X0.hosts
  <machine A>
  <machine B>

I try to rsh to the other machine and I get a "Permission denied"

      > rsh -l tim <machine B> "/usr/bin/X11/xterm  -ls
      Permission denied

I view the /var/log/messages file on <machine B> and it says:
       Aug 17 14:32:18 <machine B> pam_rhosts_auth[6420]: denied to tim@<machine A> as tim: access not allowed

I looked through the online PAM documentation, and it says that the .rhosts file should contain the
hostname and username.  I thought I had done everything correctly, but no one seems to know how
to fix this.

Thanks,

Tim