Force password changes to contain certain characters

Sorry if this question has been asked before, but I can't find the
answer to this anywhere!

Can anyone tell me (or point me to a doc) how to setup the system so
that when a user sets his password, it is rejected if it does not
follow these rules:

The password must contain at least 6 alpha numeric characters.
It should contain at least 1 alphabetic character, 1 numberic
character, and one special character (i.e. punctuation).

We're developing a network management system based on Linux/PPC, and
this is a "Bellcore" requirement.

The closest possible solution I've found is using cracklib to check the
password against /usr/dict/words - but that's not sufficient for this
requirement.

TIA,
Dave