Re: newbie question/shadow files

On  6 Dec, Bruce Cota wrote:

> Ok, this is a *real* newbie question -- where's the documentation on
> PAM?
>
> I'm new to Redhat and I just figured out that something called "PAM"
> exists.  It seems neat, but I can't find any documentation.

On RedHat systems the /usr/doc/pam-0.64 (or whatever version number)
should contain the documentation your looking for.

> I have a specific question, too -- how do I make it use shadow
> password files?

"pwconv" will enable shadow passwords and convert your passwd file.

"pwunconv" will do the unconvert your passwd file.

"grpconv" will convert your groups file.

"grpunconv" will unconvert your groups file.

That's pretty much it for the shadow stuff.

fj