Assigning quota's with edquota

Anyone know the format for assigning hard and soft limits
that I need to place in a user's quota file when using edquota.
Is there a way to use pam_limits.so to achieve the same affect?
I've tested the pam_limits  core,fsize, and data types but I do not
completely understand what they impose limits on. Just shooting in the dark.
Very little information on the formatting structure for edquota is found in
the man pages.
Rex Henderson
rex.henderson@santafe.cc.fl.us