Re: programming

On Tue, Dec 15, 1998 at 05:52:58PM +0300, Savochkin Andrey Vladimirovich wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 15, 1998 at 11:04:51AM +0200, Andrei wrote:
> > how can i make pam to use other files than /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow in
> > my applications ?
>
> I don't know a way to do it other than to modify the code of
> pam_unix PAM modules or write your owns.

Assuming Andrei's referring to the user information stored in those files,
the libc NSS interface is probably the best way to go.  The info pages for
glibc provide lots of information on how it works, but in the end it boils
down to allowing you to define what happens when an application calls any
of the getXXXX functions (getpwnam, getpwuid, getgrnam, etc.).

A quick search of the pam-list archives should find loads of discussion
about how best to combine this with PAM to eliminate the need for the
passwd and shadow files.  I think the subject for the thread was
"External authentication, no entry in /etc/passwd: possible?"

Hope this helps,

Nalin